Friday, May 29, 2009

Mawwage, sweet Mawwage...

Okay, that title was way too Michael Scott of me.  

I do have marriage on the brain though.  My brother called me the other night to tell me that he had proposed to his girlfriend, and I guess I always just assumed they were going to get married, because the news was the equivalent of Eric telling me he brought home ice cream when he did the grocery shopping.  Nice piece of news, but not the least bit shocking, and even a little bit redundant.  It isn't that I'm not excited for my brother.  Oh my gosh, I so totally am.  I just expected it, is all.  When is the sun going to set?  6:30 or 6:45?  It's a little like that.

How was I so sure?  Before Stephanie, he was merely a lonesome whipporwhirl. If he were any more down, he'd be a comforter (horriblepunlet'sjustmoveon).  After Stephanie, he was fitter, happier, more productive...  I may have just quoted a radiohead song, which probably says something about my own state of mind.  The point is, and I have a point, my brother seemed to come alive after meeting the love of his life, and that, to me, left events to unfold in only one of two ways.  Either my brother would marry this young woman, or he would become a scary cave recluse with a bushy beard, spending the rest of his sad life strumming an out of tune guitar to Hank Williams.   I figured he'd so what he could to avoid that.  

Stephanie is a perfect fit for Erik, and she's fits perfectly into our family (which I hope does not offend her...  I mean that in a good way).   She is not easily offended, she's a peacekeeper, and she's not afraid to be goofy.  It's sad that those are the qualities required of one who wants to be a Brunner, but hey, I don't make the rules.  I just keep my head afloat in them.   

It shouldn't matter that the person my brother would choose to spend his life with "fits" but the truth is, it sure does make things easier.  When you marry someone, you marry their whole family.  I am pretty much the luckiest ever, because the family I married into is composed of my best friends.  Not to out any of my other friends, but from what I gather, this is pretty rare.  I'm just hoping my family and I don't become the punchline in an in-law joke.  

Although I did just call her goofy, which probably isn't helping the cause any.  

Anyway, I'm happy for my brother and his sweet fiancee.  I wish for them a light and easy engagement, and a marriage of pure joy.  

photo.php.jpg


P.S. Could these two be any more hip and young and adorable?  Ugh, it's sickening.  

7 comments:

Renee said...

Sorry I cut your face off Stephanie. I'm too lazy to go back and fix it, and the truth is, I've been away from blogger so long, I'm not even sure I know how I would. Welcome to the family. We kind of suck.

witticism here said...

How exciting! Not only does the world need more happy, loving couples, but also more references to Princess Bride.

Kristin said...

How sweet! I'm glad to hear you don't feel like you married into your worst nightmare of in-laws!

When you were talking about Stephanie being a perfect fit for Erik? Yeah, that was (IS) you & my brother, too....perfect fit.

diane said...

How exciting! I love seeing Princess Bride references!
Oh, and your borther getting married is exciting too. When are they tying the knot? I wanna make sure it doesn't conflict with mine. :-P Just a little narcissistic but whatever.

Scarlet said...

Congrats to the baby Bro. I am glad you all like her and welcome her. I am not that welcomed and loved by my in-laws. Mine make the Barones look tame.

Sarah Beau Bera said...

I'll have to google whipporwhirl to completely understand what you are saying. Aside from that congrats to Renee's brother.

Anonymous said...

You are seriously one of the greatest writers I've ever come across. Like, it goes Maya Angelou, then you.

Congrats to bro! The crazy thing in my life that I don't think I'm supposed to blog about is that my sister called me up a month ago to come WITNESS for her WEDDING that would be in TWO DAYS. The got married on April 28th, and I totally helped her elope!!

ThereItoldsomeone.