Monday, September 29, 2008

Potatoes

Last night, I was probably experiencing a little something I like to call Denial in the Face of Economic, Social, and Political Crisis.

It started with Tivo. I had a nearly TV-free week, and was hoping to catch up on some of the things I missed. I started with the Katie Couric interview with that adorable Sarah Palin. Gee golly, she's sweet. And I couldn't be more terrified that she might be in the White House. I wanted to watch the interview, because I was hoping to see something that would say, "Don't be afraid". Instead, it was a little like that time I watched The Leprechaun, in an attempt to face my fears, and ended up sleeping with the light on and the covers over my head for a straight week.

Then, I watched CBS Sunday Morning and saw a segment on our failing economy, followed closely by a piece on Hobos. I like history, guys, but when I feel like I'm living at the beginning of a chapter that will include somber pictures of struggling workers, closed banks, and empty homes, with captions like "The Greater Depression" I sort of want to cry.

Okay, so I did cry, but it wasn't totally my television's fault. I guess I was just feeling a little sorry for myself, being at home for a few days all alone with little to no interaction with anyone taller than 3 feet.

I needed to get away from TV. I needed to get out of the house. I needed to get shampoo. Ahhhhhh, Target take me away.

I swear guys, all I need was shampoo, diapers, and some baby food. Thirty bucks, tops.

Eighty bucks and six shopping bags later, I realized I had come home with this:



Yup, that's a Halloween-themed Mr. Potato Head. And I have no idea why I thought it'd be a good idea to buy it.

When food rations come into play, I'm going to be really pissed at myself that this thing isn't edible.

7 comments:

witticism here said...

Target is so bad for thriftiness. Maybe they could throw a ban on Target in the revised bailout. That would help me.

Sarah Beau Bera said...

And now I am your devoted follower.

diane said...

I'm pretty sure we have the exact same lack of self-control in those damn big-box stores.
Sad that you were alone and bored. Why don't you call me sucka? I would've come saved you.

Renee said...

3:47 AM??? Diane, what are you doing up?? I've got anxiety-induced insomnia, so my reasons are totally valid.

Cassandra said...

I have banned myself from Target because any time I go in there for just "one or two things", I leave with that amount times 10. But here in St. George, they have two Wal-Marts...I just have to stick to the grocery section I guess.

Jason Centers said...

I say you're a one-woman Wall Street bailout in that your purchase of a Mr. Potato Head was probably the most significant investment made yesterday. Keep it up! Your existential crisis-fueled novelty binge could very well wind up rescuing this economy. I have the utmost confidence that you can save the world . . . one Snoopy Sno-Cone Maker at a time.

The Vanny Bunch said...

I'm still waiting on a break down of why Sarah Palin is so scary and why Joe Biden is so willing to tuck you in at night with a cup of warm milk. -Brandt