Friday, August 15, 2008

Twilight is not for Skanks

Twilight is HUGE in my 'hood. I know many of you have read it, and many more of you have plans to read it. I have only read the first page. Clearly, the judgements I have already made on the books are not based on anything other than the fact that I like to talk smack.

Okay, no, actually I'm not ready to talk smack, JUST yet (sorry Katy), because I feel that's unfair without really giving the book an honest chance. I really am interested to see what all the fuss is about, and I think it's sort of cool that this Stephanie lady pretty much made bank on a book about Vampire Love, of all things, something only Joss Whedon and Christopher Moore have otherwise done up right (screw Anne Rice).

I think I just find the premise sort of not really "my thing", and even though I've heard great things from people whose opinions on "good reads" I hold in high esteem, I keep hearing arguments FOR the books that just serve to leave me further AGAINST giving it a shot.

One of my least favorite arguments is that this book is supposed to take me back to high school love (meaning, I assume, that the tension between the two main characters is a lot like the tension between two high schoolers who must, against all desires, remain chaste, for fear they might turn the other into a vampire or whatever).

Thinking back on my senior year, I'd so have been a vampire in like, chapter 2. Book over.

Anyway, I'm not going to let the guilt-ridden subtext of the books keep me from giving them a shot. Like Katy, I'll just let you guys know what I thought, after I'm done reading. I promise to keep an open mind, and try to keep my shady, unsavory past out of it.

10 comments:

Katy said...

ohh, I can't wait. I would have been a vampire... yep, probably in chapter 2 as well.

mrsmouthy said...

High school love. Mmmm. Braces make kissing SO much better! I'm dying to read this book too, but I was also the first in line when leg warmers came out in the 80s.

Renee said...

Standing in line for leg warmers. I wonder if that's anything like the bread lines in the Soviet Union. Just think of all the cold shins.

Unknown said...

hi there. blog stalking you from katy's page:) i cannot believe how many postings i've seen about these books this week. crazy town.

i read, and loved, the books. anxious to see what you thought.

Cath said...

I did not want to read the first book. It sounded absolutely stupid. Not really my type of book or topic. But I was surprised by how much I liked it. Give it a chance. I can't wait to hear how you feel about it. I know Heather hated the writing, but if you don't analyze it you may enjoy it! But then again I like corny Amish books!

Jillsywillsy said...

First of all, I am the same way about the twilight books (vampires really?). I am sure I will jump on the band wagon eventually.

Second of all, this post has got the nosey side of me so curious of who made you a vampire in high school.

Ern said...

First of all, Miss Cath, please send some Amish-genre titles my way. I'd like to check those out... sorry, it actually sounds more interesting to me than vampire teenage angst.

Um, yeah. Renee, I'm probably going to be analyzing the S outta this writing. Not like I'm this amazing sentence-structurer or anything... but I'm a self-certified critique. The Twilight series is the type of Harry Potter hype for the Mormon female demographic. it's just kind strange is all.

Renee said...

I'm with Erin. Corny Amish?? Yes please!

Cath said...

Renee and Erin - I have a few I can let you borrow. My sister got me hooked on them. I think I started with The Shunning by Beverly Lewis. It is book 1 of 3. I am fascinated by the Amish, so I enjoyed these books.

diane said...

K, so my TOTALLY non-mo friends are in love with Twilight too, just an fyi. Granted one of them is 17, but WHATEVER. The others are over 30.
I want to hear more Twilight musings. Have you been reading? Just antsy. And yes, I am ok with telling the world I love Cullen boys.