Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Wall

I just don't know about L-.

Yesterday she saw some images of the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall on TV.

"I know that place! I know that wall!"

"Huh?" I thought.

"Huh?" I said.

"I dreamed it," said the four-year-old whose dreams usually consist of unicorns and rainbows.

I didn't really let it register that my kid said she dreamed about a wall, until it clicked in my head that my kid was dreaming about walls, and maybe that's not such an everyday thing. She seemed really excited by seeing the wall, like a connection had been made, and something that had been bouncing around all over the playground in her mind suddenly stopped and said "Hello" and maybe asked her if she wanted to play. She was really looking hard at that wall.

"Have you seen this Reading Rainbow before?" I asked, suspiciously.

She shook her head no. LeVar Burton was introducing himself and she looked at me as if to say, "Shhh!!!!"

"What was your dream about?"

"Oldiers"

"Oldiers? You mean soldiers?"

She nodded.

Then LeVar started talking about the wall and how the wall was there to remember the people who fought in the war. He hadn't said anything about soldiers yet.

"L-. what did the soldiers do in your dream?"

She looked at me, solemnly. Her big, blue eyes were magnified by her glasses, and I couldn't quite tell if maybe she was tearing up behind those lenses.

"They wanted to go home. They had to fight bad people, but they were sad."

LeVar had already introduced a video clip about black granite. Still nothing about soldiers.

"Where was the wall?" I asked.

"I don't know. But the soldiers went to their house. They were happy. They didn't have to fight anymore".

Holy crap.

Granted, L- is a very perceptive kid. There's a possibility that she may have seen a snippet of a History Channel show about the Vietnam Memorial in D.C. and maybe there was something about soldiers who wanted to go home. I asked E- when he got home if he ever watched anything like that with her, and he said he didn't think so. She doesn't know how to use a remote, and we're usually switching back and forth between Nickelodeon and Disney Channel, and I know that I don't really watch anything that's not on Bravo, which, last time I checked, hadn't done any in-depth programs about the emotion of war, so the possibility that L- had heard about the memorial from TV was not all that likely.

So I'm thinking she's dead serious when she says she knows that wall from a dream. Which is kind of trippy, and definitely awesome.

"L-, was this a happy dream or a sad dream?"

"Happy, because the soldiers liked the wall. AND they could see their families!"



Somehow, I don't doubt her on this one.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Ok, that's freaky! Korbin has done some of those freakish things too. When he was two we were eating lunch and he was staring off into space and asked "where'd those new lights come from?" I looked and didn't see any lights. Then recognition dawned on his face and he said matter of factly, "oh, they're my brothers and sisters, they're going to come out of your tummy." My first thought was ,"say what?" Second thought was, "Should I be freaking out?" third thought was "did he say brothers and sisters" as in plural???? Gotta love kids! Makes you seriously wonder what they're seeing. I love your blog, it always gives me a good laugh.

Renee said...

That's crazy Becca. Kids are so weird. That's not the first time I've heard about a kid talking about his brothers and sisters when he's an only child, and in every case I've heard about, the kid was really accurate.

It's either really creepy or really cool. I can't decide.